View of All Saints Church, Burythorpe.

Burythorpe Parish Council

Burythorpe Parish Council is one of many parish councils in the District of Ryedale.  They are the Local Government organisations nearest to residents.  In addition to the village of Burythorpe itself, the parish area includes the hamlets of Kennythorpe, Eddlethorpe, Menethorpe and Thornthorpe.  Councillors are elected every four years and the next elections are due in 2007.  There are no vacancies on the Parish Council at present, but anyone living in the parish is eligible to stand for election in 2007.  We try to have a balanced Council, by which is meant having representatives from throughout the parish.

The functions of the Parish Council can be summarised under three headings:

1. To meet the wishes of parishioners as far as possible to improve and maintain facilities in the parish.  Recent examples of this are the taxi voucher scheme, improvements to the Church Hall, and sports equipment donated to the Sports Club.  It was a Parish Council initative which led to the introduction of a 30mph limit in the village.  A Village Design Statement has been produced by the Council which descibes the village and sets out future priorities.

2. The Parish Council studies all planning applications.  It has no power to approve or veto them, but can make recommendations to Ryedale District Council.

3. The Parish Council draws the attention of Ryedale District Council and North Yorkshire County Council to any matters within the parish which require action.

The Parish Council meets every two months, normally on the second Monday of each month.  Meetings are open to all, but only Councillors can vote on any proposals.

The composition of the Council is currently:

Chairman:	Christopher Turner
Members:	Trevor Hill
		Judith Wilson
		Valerie Hood
		Alistair Girling
		Angela Barnes
		Diane Hill
		John Benson
Parish Clerk:	Saskia Syms		01653 659447

The next Parish Council meeting

The next meeting will be held on Monday 9th Jan 2012.

Parish Council minutes

The minutes for the current years meetings are available as .pdf files.  If you would like copies dating back further, please use the contact link at the bottom of the page for your request.

Minutes for 17th Nov 2008

Minutes for 8th Sep 2008

Minutes for 14th Jul 2008

Minutes for 12th May 2008

Minutes for 11th Mar 2008

Minutes for 8th Jan 2008

Minutes for 8th Mar 2010

Minutes for AGM 9th May 2011

Minutes for 9th May 2011

Minutes for 7th Jul 2011

Burythorpe Village Design Statement

General Description of Burythorpe

History

1.1 The history of Burythorpe can be traced back to the Neolithic Period (the late Stone Age).  When the Whitegrounds Barrow was excavated evidence dated it to circa 3000BC confirming that the area was populated and that sophisticated burial rituals were being practised.  Iron Age and Roman artefacts were discovered during the 1996 excavation, prior to the expansion of the All Saints Church graveyard.  In a field 700m to the North -West of the church the outline of a roman villa can be seen from the air.

1.2 At the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066 the village was known as 'Berguetorp'.  It was during this time of dispute between William the Conqueror and the indigenous nobility that the castle at Mount Ferrant was built on the spur of land to the south of the village.  The name of the village was altered on numerous occasions emerging as 'Berrythorpe' in 1554.

1.3 An important event in Burythorpe's history occurred in 1199 when the responsibility for appointing its rector was passed to the Prior and Canons of Kirkham.  The influential role continued to be undertaken by the Augustine Priory until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538.

1.4 At around this time farming, which had been established in the area since the Neolithic Period began to emerge from the feudal system.  During the time of Oliver Cromwell (1649 - 59) the land was redistributed through the enclosure system.  There was increasing building activity after this time as the village itself become more established.  In 1765 the Manor House on Burythorpe main street was rebuilt; this is believed to be the oldest house in the village.  The building programme undertaken at around this time reflects the economic stability of the Georgian Period.

1.5 In the first year of the census (1801) the population of Burythorpe was 335 people.  This grew to a peak of 521 in 1851 but has subsequently declined until it stood at 269 when the last census was completed in 1991.  Whilst there have always been a wide range of occupations represented locally the bulk of employment has been farming or farming related.

1.6 A good introduction to the village is Fred Francis and John Smithson's 'A History of Burythorpe: A Yorkshire Village' which explores the development of many aspects of the village - the church and chapel, farming, education, members of the community etc.  This book is usually available from Hoppers Stationers in Malton.

Present Day

1.7 Burythorpe has a sand quarry within the parish but has mainly continued as a small farming community.  Mount Farm is the only working farm within the boundaries of the village but across the whole parish there are currently 14 farms of varying sizes.  Burythorpe supports a church and a chapel and has a village hall, which used to be the school, the Burythorpe House Hotel with restaurant and leisure facilities, plus the Bay Horse public house (also serving food) and some bed and breakfast and holiday accommodation.

1.8 The village is part of the larger parish of Burythorpe.  Approaching from Malton (4.5 miles away to the north) you first pass through Thornthorpe, Eddlethorpe, and Kennythorpe.  Burythorpe itself is built mainly along one fairly straight main street which bears right at the southern end.  There are some properties off at the crossroads on the way to Birdsall including the former rectory.

1.9 In the other direction the road leads up the prominent hill to All Saints Church which overlooks the rest of the village.  The present building was opened in 1858 but there has been a Christian settlement there since before Norman times.  Excavations at this site discovered an important Roman site in 1996 but also identified pre-Christian remains from the late Iron Age (1st to 2nd Century BC).  This building and the hill upon which it sits are a most important feature for the community.  It remains a beacon, visible for miles around and views of it should be safeguarded at all costs.

1.10 Nonconformity, however, also has had an influence in the village and the first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1820.  The foundation stone for the current chapel was laid in September 1957.

1.11 Burythorpe is a quiet, peaceful village.  Access is only by minor roads separate to the main routes between Malton and Leavening/Stamford Bridge.  Visitors tend not to be 'passing through' but come with a specific purpose - to attend church services, visit villagers or enjoy refreshment at the hotel or pub.

1.12 Members of the community are generally very happy with the quality of life in the village with numerous features encouraging them to stay.  People like the views of the countryside, the variety of wildlife, trees and woodland, the sports field, and a number of historical and architectural features such as stone walls, the church and cemetery, hedges, footpaths, bridle paths, barns, folds, and the red telephone box.

The Village Design Statement

2.1 This Village Design Statement (VDS) describes the physical characteristics of Burythorpe through the eyes and experience of local experts - the community.  It attempts to describe the key features of the village in terms of:

2.2 The VDS, by agreeing the features which are important to the history, and tradition of Burythorpe, will ensure that future development is not only consistent with those features but also enhances them.  The Statement has been adopted by Ryedale District Council as Supplementary Planning Guidance which means that what it says will have to be taken into account by the district and parish councils when future planning applications are considered.  It also acts as a guide to those wishing to undertake development in the village.

2.3 A planning group of parish residents saw the VDS as an opportunity to reflect the community views in the local government planning process.  At the outset it was felt to be important to canvass the views of all people living in the parish.  To assist this process a questionnaire with 20 questions was sent to every household (approximately 100 properties).  The questions covered design issues, type and scale of future development, important features of the village, local amenities and what changes would enhance the quality of area.  Over 50% of households responded which is a statistically representative sample.  The results of this piece of work are reflected throughout the VDS.

Landmarks and Important Buildings

3.1 Mount Ferrant, the spur of land at the south side of the village is of both historical and topographical significance.

3.2 Within the village a number of buildings are particularly important and these include All Saints Church, the Village Hall (which was formerly the school), the Rectory and Burythorpe House Hotel.  These buildings are important architecturally in their individual ways.  The church, village hall and hotel are the only real amenities within the village along with the Bay Horse Public House - another building with character.

3.3 The Old Manor House is the oldest building in the village and its location at right angles to the main street is unique.  It has smaller windows than usual, a dominant front porch and other features indicating it is clearly much older than the Georgian and Victorian buildings in the village.  It is a listed building along with All Saints Church, Mount Farmhouse and Walgate House.  Yew Tree Cottages also enjoy listed building status because of their design and architectural importance and with their late Georgian/ early Victorian charm they have been nicely restored and include fine examples of the Yorkshire sliding sash window.

3.4 Coped gables and emphasised kneelers are, in some cases, particularly indicative of early origins.  Mount Farm House with its ashlar dressed frontage, tinged green through the course of time, stands proud; and together with its fine stone barns at the rear it would have been an impressive 'polite' building of its time.

3.5 In addition to buildings the sports field and the grassed area in front of Church View are also important green spaces for children to play.  In the summer the sports field is home to the very successful village cricket team and football matches are also played in their own season.  It may be that either of these spaces could be further developed as village amenities with such things as a children's play park, for example.  A more modern feature is the red telephone box which is very much preferred by villagers to the latest versions and should be preserved.

Type and Scale of Development

4.1 The Ryedale Local Plan identifies development limits within which appropriate new development is normally acceptable.  An opportunity will arise in 2005 - 6 to review the scope for small-scale sensitive expansion of the limits.  A small amount of future building is welcome in the village although there is little scope for this given the lack of areas to 'in-fill'.

4.2 The local Plan also identifies 3 Visually Important Underdeveloped Areas (VIUA's): the green area at Church View, the orchard at the Old Manor House, and the green area immediately south of the Bay Horse pub.  These areas have been so designated in order to recognise the importance of green spaces within settlements and to protect their overall character.  The development of these areas will not normally be permitted except where the economic or social benefits outweigh the loss or damage to the character of the area, or where the development would not have a material adverse effect upon the character or appearance of the area.

4.3 Burythorpe would not, however, be amenable to 'estate type' development or noisy industrial operations.  Small-scale craft type premises or other sympathetic business use is encouraged throughout the parish by conversion of redundant farm buildings.

4.4 The character of Burythorpe is based on it being a small farming village with the usual mix of stone and brick properties across a range of sizes, and with the usual types of commercial interests such as pub, B&B etc.  The planning of future developments should be in line with the character of the village and should complement the style of the current buildings including the materials used in their construction.

4.5 As indicated above the village is set out along one main street and the majority of properties are not overlooked at the rear.  Development seeking to change this i.e.  with a road parallel to the main street, will not be acceptable.  Buildings should not be permitted between the line of houses and the main road.

Buildings and Gardens

5.1 The properties that make up Burythorpe are a mixture of the old and the new built almost exclusively of either stone or red brick.  Buildings are either single or two storey usually with slate or red clay pan-tiled roofs.  A number of older properties are actually 'a storey and a half' which adds to the variety of buildings in the village.  The value of property covers a good range and this will ensure that people attracted to live in Burythorpe will come from a variety of backgrounds and income levels; this is important to the local community and the mix of property in terms of size and affordability should be maintained.

5.2 The architectural features of Burythorpe are many and varied but with natural stone predominating.  This is coursed, jointed and pointed in the traditional manner, and this should be encouraged in future development.

5.3 Malton brick has been used to build a number of the properties and similar brickwork should be encouraged in future development where appropriate.  Slate roofs are often integral to such brick buildings - the Village Hall is a good example of these features.  In general terms slate roofs accompany brick buildings and clay pantiles accompany stone.  Slate and stone mix should be avoided.

Roofs

5.4 The houses have pitched roofs with angles of roughly 40 - 45 degrees and mainly brick chimney stacks.  Washed red clay pan tiles predominate with ridge tiles of stone.  Many of the eaves are coped with kneelers and parapet gables.  Ventilation tiles are not particularly evident.  The clay pantiles have a shallow dish; re- roofing on pantiled buildings should use clay rather than stone.

5.5 Guttering is predominantly mounted on rise and fall brackets.

Windows

5.6 Some of the houses have catslide dormer windows, many have multipaned woodframed windows, although there are some Yorkshire sliding sash windows.  There are also good examples of vertical sliding sash windows (box frame) in the Georgian and Victorian style in Burythorpe.  Each of these window styles is typical of the local architecture and has been variously incorporated into the developments in the village.

5.7 In general, timber is the preferred material for window frames with UPVC being particularly discouraged in new developments or refurbishment of existing properties.  Frames should either be painted white or use a natural stain.

Boundaries and Gardens

5.8 There is a mixture of hedges and areas of stonewalling which form the boundaries of most of the village properties.  Gates to properties should be made from timber.  Post and railfencing on the visible frontage of properties is to be discouraged along with any solid wood construction.

5.9 The buildings are double and single fronted and almost all have both front and back gardens (of varying sizes).  Front gardens facing the streets are an important feature to preserve and should be integral to any future development proposals.

The Street

6.1 Throughout the village there are numerous stonewalls, hedges and grass verges which face onto the road.  The mixture is another attractive feature of the village which any further development or enhancement to existing properties should compliment.

6.2 The stone walling within the village and surrounding the churchyard should be preserved.  Hedging should be in line with existing species - hawthorn, beech, holly and others.  High hedging should be avoided where it impacts on adjoining properties (leylandii in particular should not be planted).  Whilst some properties front directly onto the roads there are also a number of paths and grass verges which as well as being features in themselves also afford a degree of safety to pedestrians.  Tarmac is the main material used and this practice should be continued.

6.3 Within the village boundaries hedges and verges are generally kept neat and tidy.  This is also important in the lanes approaching Burythorpe.

6.4 As outlined above the quality of the street is influenced by the existence and appearance of front gardens and the variety of walls, hedging and verges.  The lack of street lighting also contributes significantly to the appearance of the village and to the ability of people to watch the night sky.  Street lighting should not, therefore, be introduced.

6.5 The street would benefit from additional rubbish bins and a container for dog mess on the road to the church which should be made from timber with an insert.  Additional containers for flowers and plants would add to the attractiveness of the street as would a number of seats/benches (particularly out side the churchyard on the hill).  Again timber rather than metal would be the preferred material.

6.6 The red telephone box at the southern end of the village is an important piece of 'street furniture' which should be preserved.  The option of 'listing' this facility will be pursued.

6.7 The 'street' issue of most concern is the need to restrict the speed of some motorists either through an enforced speed limit or other traffic calming measures.  The village has seen a growth in the number of children and signs advising drivers of children playing etc are a minimum requirement.  The design and appearance of traffic calming measures needs to be carefully considered so as not to spoil the appearance of the street.

6.8 Facilities for the increasing number of children and young people are also important.  The village has no designated playground, youth club or similar facility.

Natural Environment

7.1 The rural nature of Burythorpe makes it an ideal area for wild animals, plants and trees to flourish.  The area is home to badgers, foxes, rabbits, bats, mice and other mammals as well as the occasional deer.  Bird life is varied and the well-stocked gardens attract many butterflies and insects.

7.2 As identified above hedges are seen as important local features and they are also a vital part of the natural habitat.  The planting of additional hedging in appropriate locations is to be encouraged particularly where there is currently fencing (in line with existing hedging as identified in 6.2 above).  The removal of hedging is not only to be discouraged but it is also illegal and subject to the Hedgerow Regulations of 1997.

7.3 The building of pylons and phone masts in the vicinity is not appropriate, and is likely to be resisted by residents.

7.4 There are many trees in and around Burythorpe and their age and variety contribute greatly to the character of the village.  From the Cherry Blossom on the main street, the cedar and chestnut up at the church, the woodland over to Birdsall and at Rabbit Hill near the sand quarry, right down to the individual trees and orchards in gardens - all of these are important and the planting of further trees should be encouraged particularly by developers seeking planning permission.

7.5 As part of efforts to mark the Millennium additional trees were planted along the verge at the southern approach to the village.  Existing trees should not be damaged as part of any further development in the village.

7.6 Footpaths and bridle paths should be maintained so that people can enjoy walking and exploring the countryside.  Further signs identifying such paths (the 'green' signs) should be encouraged to aid walkers and visitors.

7.7 The stream that crosses the Birdsall road and at The Stray is also an important natural feature as the only waterway in the village (although small and with only limited access possible). It does however support local wildlife as it cuts its way south forming a natural border to the eastern edge of the village.

Conclusion

8.1 This document describes the key features of Burythorpe in terms of the countryside and landscape, the settlement as a whole, and the characteristics and details of the buildings and spaces within the village.  The recommendations and conclusions drawn in the Village Design Statement should be considered as part of any development which will impact upon the village.  Architects and planners and developers are encouraged to discuss the VDS with the Parish Council as part of any development process.  This document will be reviewed in 2005/6 alongside the review of the Ryedale Local Plan.